Old school for the New school.

Here is a track I recorded and mixed this morning – two hours from start to upload.

I’m using Ableton Live 9 and Push to mix to the Zoom R8 multitrack recorder.  There were 4 recorded passes with varying degrees of Roland System-1m, V-Synth and Nord Modular processing and modulating.  This is a very satisfying way to build up tracks with the final result manipulated slightly in Tracktion 6.  Sync might be an issue for some people as it is only happening in Ableton for each recording… not for the entire track.  I don’t see the drift as being that problematic… i’m not making martial music! 🙂

IMG_0454

Moving away from the “demonstrative” track developments like this I have two personal projects on the go.

I’m going through the material I’ve recorded over the last six months looking for small parts to load as samples in the V-Synth and SP404.  These will be repurposed alongside the Nord and Sys-1m in a manner similar to the track above – somewhere between drifting and grooving.  Working title is “Archipelagos” because… lots of tiny islands :).

Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 11.18.22 am

I’m also revisiting the “New Silicon Dawn” preparation I did a couple of years ago.  I’ve worked out a scale for each piece so these will be comprovisations based around the notes i’ve expanded upon.

In other news Reaktor has finally updated to version 6 (I think it’s been about 10 years?) and they’ve joined the higher-end modules bandwagon currently associated with tools like OSCillot, Usine, and the BEAP framework in Max7.  The new “Blocks” are Eurorack-aping high level connectable modules that make Reaktor much more satisfying for those of us who prefer patching to programming.  Already some great user contributions in the Reaktor Community library and I can see this being something NI and 3rd parties will monetize.  So long as it means more accessible modular sound programming i’m for it.

Advertisements

Makro/Hetlev September jams

Some new jams on Bandcamp – Free to download / pay if you feel like it.

Paul and I are at a point with our gear that we can get interesting diverse textures without much drama.  Obviously there is plenty of Roland sound on this but Paul’s suitcase DIY modular with Arduino / Raspberry Pi components is expanding and creates much higher quality texture now.  This recording is completely live with only some compression applied to flatten the dramatic peaks slightly.

dream_c6b60f4976dream_f39d97506b
Art comes from an experiment I started, sending abstract computer generated art through Google’s Deep Dream to see what dog-birds it could find.  The images above and below are some unused outtakes from the digital art book included with the download.

dream_f48f3748addream_da2f5a08c5

I won’t be making or sharing long jam recordings like this for some time.

Joe and I have been experimenting with filling the eight tracks of the Zoom R8 rather than jamming out for hours and having to then find the amazing parts in the wall of sound. I think i’ve sold him on it… it seems much more efficient and the mono tracks can then be exported to a DAW for further “preparation” with a coherent arrangement idea already mapped out.